Monday, January 7, 2013

Overdue Book Review: Hex Hall series

The last three months, I was on a blogging hiatus. I missed writing up reviews of several books, but would still like to give my overall thoughts.

Overdue Book Review = Read in October 2012




Hex Hall series
Hex Hall, Demonglass, Spell Bound
By Rachel Hawkins
Purchased/eBook
Genre: YA Fantasy
Big Themes: Magic, Friendship, Mystery, Trust, Family, Love, Boarding School

Summary: Sophie is sent away to Hex Hall after an incident makes clear that she can't control her magic powers.  Hex Hall is a kind of juvie for magic users, and holds an assortment of magical youth, such as: witches, warlocks, shapeshifters, faeries, and even a vampire.

What I Liked:

The Wit and Humor: The humor in this book was by far the most pleasant surprise as I picked these books up.  Sophie is so witty and her sense of humor makes these books such a joy to read.  It also gave Sophie a distinct voice as the narrator, which is always a plus.

The Plot: I wasn't really sure what to expect with these books, but what I got was a whole lot more than just a teen girl boarding school book.  There are secret societies, family history, spies, dark magic, ghosts, curses, and mysteries throughout.  The books were paced well with twists and turns and intrigue.

The Setting: Hex Hall is a memorable setting, and the kind of place I wish I could visit.  While it wasn't Hogwarts, this boarding school was still complex and fascinating with it's own little secrets.


Criticism:

Villain: I got a little confused towards the end of the series on who the villain was and the whole politics/history bit.  I would have liked to see more foreshadowing in regards to this as well as a more clear set-up/backstory.

Overall Rating: Four stars for being delightfully funny and intriguing series.  While it's not Harry Potter in scope or complexity, it has a lot of similar charms.






8 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm glad you loved this series! I really enjoyed it as well. Sophie is HILARIOUS and I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should keep going with this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts! I'd always been a bit curious about these books. I know my sister was interested in Hex Hall after seeing it at a bookstore once. We haven't read any, though. Sounds like we might enjoy them. I like boarding school books and a witty MC is always nice!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I'm kind of surprised I haven't read this series yet - it's like boarding school + magic should be an automatic win for me, right? Well, I understand that it's no Harry Potter, but I would still like to read it. I think I would really enjoy the lighter tone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! The humor is one of the best parts of this series! And yes, some of the elements about that ending...ergh! I'm looking forward to SCHOOL SPIRITS, though, you?

    ReplyDelete

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)