Saturday, January 5, 2013

Overdue Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars

The last three months, I was on a blogging hiatus. I missed writing up reviews of several books, but would still like to give my overall thoughts.

Overdue Book Review = Read in September 2012



The Fault in Our Stars
By John Green
Purchased/Signed Hardback
Genre: YA Contemporary Fiction
Big Themes: Cancer, Love, Power of Books

Summary: Hazel Grace Lancaster attends a cancer support group where she meets the gorgeous and amazing Augustus Waters.

I LOVED THIS BOOK.

I'm going to keep this review short, since this book has already been reviewed a gazillion times.  Like everyone else in the world, this book blew me away. If you are someone who still hasn't read it... Fix that. 

I avoided this book for several months because I didn't want to read a book about cancer or a book that would make me cry. But I picked this book up on a Friday evening and finished it Saturday afternoon... In less than 24 hours. I cried from page 103 on with tears streaming down my face. John Green is a master of characterization and wit. I cared about Hazel and Augustus soooooo much. It's incredible how John Green is able to get in each character's head so that their actions and dialogue are consistent and unique.

I don't want to give any spoilers because it's so important to go into this book knowing nothing about the story.

Overall Rating: This is now my favorite John Green book and my favorite contemporary book of all time. Five big brilliant stars.





5 comments:

  1. I can't agree more; this book blew me out of the water. I've read a LOT of fiction, but a book has never, ever made me cry (or even laugh!) the way I did with this one. Absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite for a long time after I read it, but Paper Towns is edging it out as my fave John Green book. I just reread this (well... I did the audio this time) and I'm going to revisit it on the blog in the next few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. This is such high praise coming from you! Damn, John Green just sounds so talented. I can't wait to fall in love with his books - I'll probably go in chronological order, I'm thinking (though it's super tempting to start with this one...).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally had so much trouble reading this. I should have read it right when it came out. The few times I was ready weren't good times in my life because of something a close friend was going through. I knew the end was devastating, and after my friend passed away, I didn't want to read something like that. I knew I had to read it before the end of the year, though, so I disassociated as I read. I'd like to read the book again someday in a better frame of mind. I know if I give the book a real chance, I can love it, too. Right now, I just...can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fantastic book! It's tied for me with Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson as my favorite John Green books. He is just such a beautiful, brilliant writer. I'm trying to get my husband to read one of his books--I keep giving subtle hints! ;) Great review, Lauren, and I'm so glad you're back from hiatus!

    ReplyDelete

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)